What is Smudging?
Sage Stick Smudging
Bye Bye Bad Vibes
The modern-day practice of Smudging or burning sage is based on a combination of the
- Cultural teachings of the past.
Essentially, a smudge ritual or a smudge ceremony is performed to correct the energy in a home, in an office, in an object, or even in a person.
This is accomplished by burning sage or sage and a combination of herbs, in a focused, intentional way to cleanse out negative energy and to replenish positive, healing energy.
Burning sage is one of the oldest and purest methods of cleansing a person, group of people, or space and of getting rid of unwanted spirits. The practice dates back to prehistoric times and it’s been documented as having been used in every corner of the world by our ancestors.
The type of sage you want to buy is called ‘California White Sage’ or ‘White Sage Smudge Stick.’
(Do not use the regular old sage in your kitchen.)
You want to buy high-quality, ethically cultivated sage. (Be cautious of mass-market retailers when buying sage online.)
Large commercial vendors aren’t usually concerned with buying a high-quality sacred and ceremonial product that has been ethically sourced.
Remember, intention and cultivation of this product matter just like buying organic food.
Learn the science behind the smoke.
- Sage clears bacteria in the air.
- Sage smoke offers rapid delivery to the brain and efficient absorption to the body. (we are delevoping an effective Smoke Free Sage Spray- available soon)
- Scientists have observed that sage can clear up to 94% of airborne bacteria in a space and disinfect the air.
- When sage is burned, it releases negative ions, which is linked to putting people into a positive mood.
- The Latin word for sage salvia stems form the word heal.
- Other qualities believed to be associated with sage when burned are giving wisdom, clarity, and increasing spiritual awareness.
Before burning, open the doors or windows.
Before you light up, remember to open a door or window as the unwanted energy you are trying to clear must have a pathway to get out.
Why do you need to do this?
Collen McCann expalains "Let’s take a lesson from eight-grade science class:
Imagine that you took a bunch of chemical compounds and put them in a jar, sealed the lid, and shook the jar.
You just created a chemical reaction, but the mixture has nowhere to go;so the jar could explode, crack, or not complete its chemical reaction because of the lack of oxygen, being compressed in a small space, and essentially not being able to change.
I use this example with my clients all the time because this experiment is the same as opening the doors and windows in the space you are trying to clear."
If you are trying to get someone’s toxic energy out of your house post-cocktail party, after an intense meeting in a conference room at work, or you feel like there is a spirit hanging around your space, that energy needs somewhere to go.
Colleen McCann Spiritual Practioner says "When I get called by a client to come in and clear a space and I hear them tell me they have been sageing and it seems like the paranormal activity in the house only got stronger after they saged, I immediately ask about the windows and doors. Rookie mistake! I also ask my clients, once they have the area ventilated and have lit the sage, to ask the unwanted energy to leave their space, in their mind’s eye as well as voicing out loud. What I have them say is ‘Any energy that is not of my highest and greatest good get the f**k out, with love, but you are not welcome to stay here."
Please leave through the open window/door.
Prep for the burning.
Traditionally, people use a shell to hold the sage in and then use a feather to fan and spread the smoke around the space when burning sage.
Abalone or heat proof scallop shells are great because of the shape, they are easy to hold when walking around the space, and they can take the heat created from the burning herbs.
Remember, you are lighting something on fire so making sure you have the right container is important.
Light it up with care.
Once you’re ready to light your sage, grab the sage as far from the end you are burning as possible.
Light the sage, let it burn for about 20 seconds and then gently blow out the flame so that you see orange embers on one end.
Then you can start the process of clearing your space.
(Clients sometimes complain that they can’t get their sage to stay lit.If the sage bundle was packed too tight when made, then the oxygen can’t get in properly and the sage won’t stay lit. Loosen the ribbon around the sage and take the tip you are lighting and smash it on to a surface to give it a little breathing room. This helps to keep your sage smoking. If you also start to see the glow of the embers fading you can gently blow on the end that is lit up and remember to do this gently, otherwise you can send sage ash flying onto your outfit or carpet.)
Please Be Careful and Sage with Caution
Consider the alternatives to Smudging. Sage spray is an effective alternative when in a no-smoke zone. Available Soon!
It’s easy to travel with and it smells great.
The Spray is great in hotels—think about how many people’s energy have been in just one hotel room. Eeek!
1. Have a sage smudge stick and find a heat proof ashtray, shell or bowl to hold it over (traditionally, a shell is used). Also set up a cup of water to extinguish.
2. Open doors and/or windows in your house, if possible, and turn on fans if you have them.
3. Light the stick, and when it catches fire, blow it out and allow the embers to start to smoke (like you would light incense).
4. Set your intention for each room. Say a prayer of cleansing. Say an affirmation or a prayer of cleansing your home.
We suggest, “Bless this home and all who enter, please cleanse this home of all negative energy, fill this home with light and love and with positive energy.”
5. Walk around the room, waving the sage stick so its smoke drifts into corners, along walls, around windows, and along ceiling lines.
As you do, imagine the smoke absorbing negativity, problems from those who were in the space before you, toxicity, and anything else you want to go away. See the smoke dissipating and floating out the windows, and imagine that bad energy flowing out of your space, making room for positive, fresh energy.
After you’ve blessed every room, give yourself a sage shower. Cup your hands over the smoke and “wash” your face with it, then wave it all over your body as you would in a water shower. Visualize any residual negativity sailing out of your body, out of your home, and into oblivion.
6. Extinguish the stick in the ashtray, shell cup of water.
7. Enjoy you Cleansed Space!